Sunday, March 29, 2009

Trip back to South Carolina

Heather and Scott
All five of us kids and my dad

Scott and Nancy

Me and Scott

Tracy, Heather and Dad

Yates and Nancy

Me, Dad and Heather at the cemetery where my grandfather is buried and their church in Winnsboro, SC behind us.

Dad and Aunt Nancy

I made an emergency trip back to Columbia, South Carolina as my grandmother was passing away. I arrived in SC at 4 on Friday, March 20 and went straight to Oma's apartment. We were able to spend time with her. She was not able to communicate and only opened her eyes for a brief second, but I knew she knew we were there. She ended up passing away at 3:15 am that next morning. I left on Monday and the funeral was Tuesday, but I am glad I was there before she passed. We helped clean out her apartment, type an obituary and even got her cat out of the apartment. So many things to talk about, but it was great seeing family and finding out more about my grandparents than I ever thought I knew. Such passionate wonderful people. I have the privilege of scanning in all the letters and pictures she saved. She saved every letter, card, article. Everything! Letters from my grandfather to her before they were married and from WW2 and Korea. Such a great love story. A huge task, but one that is worth it!

No comments: